200g unsalted butter, softened
150g castor sugar
4 medium eggs
tsp ground cardamom
275g ground almonds
100g rice flour
1 lemon, zest and juice
1 Tbsp rose water
5ml baking powder
Pinch of salt
30ml castor sugar
15ml lemon juice
5ml rose water
- Grease a deep 20cm loose-bottomed springform tin.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C.
- Beat together butter and castor sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add rose water and lemon zest.
- Sift together rice flour, cardamom, almonds, baking powder and salt.
- Add the flour to the egg mixture alternating with the lemon juice and mix.
- Pour the mixture into the springform tin and bake for 1 hour.
- To make the drizzle, heat lemon juice, castor sugar and rose water together in a
- Boil until slightly thickened and set aside.
- After 1 hour cooking time, prick with a skewer to test if it is baked through.
- Once baked, remove from the oven, pour over the drizzle and allow to soak in
the loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Allow the cake to cool, then remove from the tin.
- To make the icing, sift icing sugar, add lemon juice, then add enough water to
make a thick but pourable paste.
- Pour the icing over the cooled cake. Allow the drizzle to run down the sides of
the cake in rivulets.
- Decorate with slivered pistachios, edible gold leaf