No High Tea is complete without the perfect scone. Fluffy, buttery scones are the prelude to the more intricate tiers which follow on a High Tea stand. Let this be the best scone that you make. The recipe below uses simple yet luxury ingredients to create the ultimate indulgence.
- 600g flour
- 75g castor sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 15ml baking powder
- 250g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 120ml buttermilk
- 120ml cream
- Egg wash for glazing
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Sift the flour, add the sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Add the butter and rub it into the flour mixture using the tips of your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix the eggs, buttermilk and cream together.
- Add buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture.
- Use a knife to cut and mix into the mixture until it just comes together. Do not overmix.
- Turn mixture onto a dusted, floured surface and knead lightly.
- Roll out dough about 3cm thick.
- Using a 5cm cookie cutter, cut into dough rounds.
- Place onto a greased baking tray and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Brush the chilled scones with egg wash and bake for approximately 15 minutes, until golden.
- Remove scones from the oven and let them