A Lebanese household staple, this basic bread dough forms the basis for many variations.
It’s quick and simple to make.
- 625g cake flour
- 6g salt
- 5g granulated sugar
- 25g butter
- 60ml milk
- 10g fresh yeast
- X cup warm water
- 30ml olive oil
- Sift flour, salt and sugar together.
- Gently melt the butter and milk together (do not boil). Allow to cool.
- Add yeast to the cooled milk and butter mixture, gently whisk to dissolve yeast.
- Form a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add yeast liquid mixture and allow to prove.
- Gently start to knead, adding enough warm water to form a soft dough.
- Knead for 5 minutes.
- Add olive oil and continue kneading for a further 5 minutes.
- Allow to bulk prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- The proven Ajeen dough can now be used in the variations which follow.